SUMMER SETTLING IN

Summer arrives Saturday at 6:51 am and it sure feels like it already! Very few showers and t-showers will develop through the weekend allowing for temperatures to reach into the 90-95 degree range. Heat index values will climb to near 100 in some spots so be careful if you plan to be outside for a prolonged period of time. Drinks lots of water and take frequent breaks in the shade and inside in the AC. Along with the high temperatures we will also see ground level ozone numbers on the rise. A code orange smog alert is forecast for Thursday with an AQI of 104.

jeff2

By Thursday we will see highs climbing into the mid to upper 90s in parts of south and eastern Georgia. Here in Atlanta our high will reach 93.

jeff3

Rain chances will remain low until the beginning of next week when our daily chance increases to 30-40%.

jeff1

Advertisements

SMOG ALERT FOR WEDNESDAY

Temperatures in the 90s combined with sunshine and a stable atmosphere has prompted a Smog Alert for Wednesday with the Air Quality index forecast to be 101 which puts it in the Unhealthy For Sensitive Groups category.
WHAT TO DO: The air in this range is unhealthy for all people, but those who suffer from respiratory and heart disease should limit outdoor activities during the late afternoon and evening when the numbers are the highest.

jeff1jeff2jeff3
HEAT: Highs for the next seven day will remain in the low 90s with overnight lows only in the low to mid 70s. In this type of heat make sure that you drink lots of water when outside and take frequent breaks in the shade or air conditioning.
RAIN CHANCES: Only a slight chance of showers and t-showers will continue through this weekend with a slightly better chance of afternoon storms by next Monday and Tuesday.

jeff4

DOG DAYS OF SUMMER ALREADY HERE!

Hot and humid conditions with little wind and little t-shower activity to cool things off have arrived just in time to kick off the first day of summer this Saturday.
HEAT: High temperatures this week will reach at least 90 each day with some areas in the 90-95 range. Overnight lows will only cool to the lower 70s which won’t help to cool things off. The humidity will remain moderate allowing for heat index values to creep into the mid to upper 90s. Remember to drink lots of water and wear light, loose fitting clothes if working or playing outside, and take frequent breaks in the shade or air conditioning.
RAIN CHANCES: Showers and t-showers will be few and far between this week as high pressure aloft strengthens and helps to suppress the t-shower development. The ones that are able to develop will be slow moving with heavy downpours and some cloud to ground lightning.

jeff1

DAILY T-SHOWERS RETURN

Showers and t-showers will once again become a daily occurrence although the overall coverage will remain small.
BEST CHANCE: Our daily chance for seeing showers and t-showers will range from 20 to 40 percent through the weekend and into next week. A weak front on Thursday and again next Monday will raise our chance to 40 percent otherwise the remaining days will see only a 20 to 30 percent chance of isolated t-showers. We are not expecting any severe t-storms although a few cells could become strong with frequent cloud to ground lightning and occasional small hail. Rain totals will vary greatly with some slower moving showers producing possibly up to a half in rain at any given time.
HEAT & HUMIDITY: Both the heat and humidity will increase through the rest of the week with high temperatures eventually near 90 and lows only dropping to around 70. This will give the air conditioning a workout! Dew point temperatures will range from 65-70 making it feel quite humid as well.

jeff2
TROPICAL DEVELOPMENT: We are still keeping an eye out on the tropics where a wave could develop over the weekend and into next week. Computer models have the feature moving out of the Gulf and across south Florida early next week. The NHC is giving as 20% chance of development through 5 days.

jeff1

HEAT AND HUMIDITY ON THE WAY BACK

After a nice break today from the heat and humidity it appears that the temperatures and the moisture will gradually increase starting Tuesday and that will lead to daily chances for showers and t-showers.
HEAT AND HUMIDITY: Another relatively cool night is on the way with many areas north of Atlanta getting down into the upper 50s with lows generally in the low 60s for the rest of us. High temperatures will climb back into the mid 80s on Tuesday with highs near 90 by Wednesday and Thursday. Dew point temperatures fell into the low to mid 50s this morning, but will be back into the mid to upper 60s by the middle part of the week. That is our increase in humidity.

jeff2
T-SHOWER CHANCES: Showers and t-showers will develop each afternoon and evening (20% to 30% chance) this week with the best chance being on Thursday (40% chance)as a front approaches from the north. As we head into the weekend the chance drops again to about a 30% chance of seeing afternoon and evening t-showers. Although a few of the storms could reach severe limits it appears that the greatest threat will be from lightning and small hail.

jeff1jeff3